Notifications
Clear all

Fir Audio M5 Impressions and Opinions

seamon67
(@seamon67)
Active Member US Tours Reviewer
Topic starter  

I believe this was touted as tia forte on steroids. I hope this is closer to pre-production tia forte than the current in production tia forte sound. Thoughts?

Titienne
(@titienne)
Active Member CA Tours

You should check out the reviews on Headfi. I had the chance to try one out and gave it 4 stars / 5.

ReplyQuote
seamon67
(@seamon67)
Active Member US Tours Reviewer
Topic starter  

LMAO Fir M4 is better than M5. 

ReplyQuote
Darkestred
(@darkestred)
New Member US Tours

M5>M4 but only slightly.

The M4 has a more realistic timbre when it comes to cymbals in part due to the BAs.  I liked the way the midrange was portrayed on the M4 but only on certain songs. 

The M5 had a more lush/warm/thicker sounding apperance.  Snare cracks with the M4 sounded awful on some recordings and moreso at higher listening volumes. 

Both had really nice space between notes.  As a drum lover wherever a snare hits and kick drum was played notes were distinct and well separated.  I wish the Anole VX had this type of mid-range.

The M5 has that sludgy or lethargic sense for treble that a lot of EST tunings seem to exhibit.  I think the best implementations ive heard from EST to date (and they aren't many) are the Shozy Pola 39 and UM Mest.  Moving on: The M5 eeked out better macro details in treble vs the M4 probably due to the EST.  I also enjoyed the timbre of the M5.

This post was modified 6 months ago 2 times by Darkestred

ReplyQuote
Share: