Notifications
Clear all

Tour Suggestions

Page 2 / 3

seamon67
(@seamon67)
Active Member US Tours Reviewer

Posted by: @barra

@seamon67 - Agreed, I would love to see the Abyss on tour. However, I am not sure how many of our tour members have a home setup that could support it adequately. Most of our tours and therefore tour members are focused on portable so we may run into a problem. My experience with my friends 1266 TC was that it needed some nice gear to pair with to shine. I would be happy to chase this one down, but it feels like it would be a special sub-group of members that do smaller tours. Do you think we can get 10 to 15 members together with appropriate gear to do a focused tour?

Does anyone else wish to participate in an Abyss tour and have a desktop setup to support it?

Maybe we can ask them for an accompanying amp. They were touting the XI Audio Broadway to be specifically designed for the Diana. The would probably work for the 1266 TC as well. 

ReplyQuote
Titienne
(@titienne)
Active Member CA Tours

The Hidition Viento and Violet would be awesome to try out !

Barra liked
ReplyQuote
rmsanger
(@rmsanger)
New Member US Tours

A few suggestions:

Burson Composer / Soloist

MHDT Orchid / Pagoda Balanced

HeadAmp GSX Mini

Flux Labs FA-10

Flux Labs Volot

Buchardt A500

Zu Audio Dirty Weekends

Tekton Lore

Barra liked
ReplyQuote
Barra
(@barra)
Eminent Member Admin US Tours, US Tours Reviewer
Topic starter  

@rmsanger - Some of these I am unfamiliar with. Hopefully we can talk amongst ourselves to figure out which we can get to our 15 participant minimums so we can reach out to make these happen. If anyone will second and third these ideas, I will post them as a tour idea, any takers?

SPEAKER: Marantz SR7007 (7.1) >>> Rotel RB-1090 (800W@4ohm) >>> Magneplanar 1.7 + Subs (M&K MX-100 + B&W ASW610)
DESKTOP: SOURCE - Burson C3R / Havana 2 Tube DAC >>> AMP - Eddie Current Zana Duex Tube AMP >>> HEADPHONES - HEX / HD800 / LCD2v2 / HD700 >>> CABLES - Norne Silvergarde / Forza Hybrid HPC
PORTABLE: DAPs - Hugo2 / Sony WM1A / Calyx M >>> AMP - C&C BH2 >>> CIEMs – MMR Thummim, Fir M5, VE ELYSIUM, EE Legend X / Valkyrie, 64A A18 Tzar / A12t, Hidition NT-6 Pro, Lime Ears Aether, Fearless S12 >>> CABLES - PWAudio 1950, OLSO, Eletech Plato / Socrates

ReplyQuote
Barra
(@barra)
Topic starter  

@seamon67 - I did just hear back from Abyss and they said no. They have a specific setup that they get them reviewed on to get a consistent sound and to manage the reviews. They also have a ton of review requests coming in every day so they were not motivated. Too bad. 🙁

SPEAKER: Marantz SR7007 (7.1) >>> Rotel RB-1090 (800W@4ohm) >>> Magneplanar 1.7 + Subs (M&K MX-100 + B&W ASW610)
DESKTOP: SOURCE - Burson C3R / Havana 2 Tube DAC >>> AMP - Eddie Current Zana Duex Tube AMP >>> HEADPHONES - HEX / HD800 / LCD2v2 / HD700 >>> CABLES - Norne Silvergarde / Forza Hybrid HPC
PORTABLE: DAPs - Hugo2 / Sony WM1A / Calyx M >>> AMP - C&C BH2 >>> CIEMs – MMR Thummim, Fir M5, VE ELYSIUM, EE Legend X / Valkyrie, 64A A18 Tzar / A12t, Hidition NT-6 Pro, Lime Ears Aether, Fearless S12 >>> CABLES - PWAudio 1950, OLSO, Eletech Plato / Socrates

ReplyQuote
seamon67
(@seamon67)

@seamon67 - I did just hear back from Abyss and they said no. They have a specific setup that they get them reviewed on to get a consistent sound and to manage the reviews. They also have a ton of review requests coming in every day so they were not motivated. Too bad. 🙁

Kinda bummed but not surprised. Abyss has always been a little 'Our way or No way' kind of company. 

ReplyQuote
rmsanger
(@rmsanger)
New Member US Tours

I own a set of 1266 Phi TC and they are pretty great however you do need a near TOTL amp/dac combo to really get the most out of them.  Hoping the Conductor 3XP is the ticket but it may need even more diggyup than it offers.

Abyss pretty much recommends the Headamp GSX Mini as the bare minimum to spend on amplification for it.

ReplyQuote
Barra
(@barra)
Topic starter  

@rmsanger - have had experience with a friends 1266 and loved them and do know that he had quite the setup to run them correctly. I was hoping that the Diana would have been easier to drive and not have the same requirements, but I guess not. 🙂

The 1266 is my favorite headphone by the way.

ReplyQuote
seamon67
(@seamon67)

@rmsanger - have had experience with a friends 1266 and loved them and do know that he had quite the setup to run them correctly. I was hoping that the Diana would have been easier to drive and not have the same requirements, but I guess not. 🙂

The 1266 is my favorite headphone by the way.

I have the Diana V2. They are a little harder than LCD 4 to drive. They don't have very high impedance (42Ohm on V2 and 32Ohm on Phi) but are very inefficient at 91dB/mW. Something like the RME ADI-2 DAC FS is sufficient. 

ReplyQuote
rmsanger
(@rmsanger)
New Member US Tours

I'm not an IEM guy so will primarily suggest up gear for full size Hps/Speakers/Amps/Dacs.

Ran across these two options a few days ago and would be super interested in a tour and they are quite affordable:

Open back planar - LSA HP-1

https://www.underwoodhifi.com/products/lsa-hp-1

Closed backs horn loaded drivers - LSA HP-2 Ultra

https://www.underwoodhifi.com/products/hp-2-ultra

ReplyQuote
Barra
(@barra)
Topic starter  

@rmsanger - Sounds good, would love to have more headphone tours. Anyone want to second an third this motion to get it on the ideas board?

ReplyQuote
uthood
(@uthood)
New Member US Tours

Headphones are definitely a different ballgame than IEMs. Fees like more options, but shipping might be a bit more expensive. 

I see a lot of talk of the following IEMs:

Dunu tour (Luna and Zen)

Thieaudio tour (Monarch and Clairevoyance)

Meze (Rai Penta and Solo)

Oriolus Traillii (almost don’t want to hear this because of the cost hah!)

Headphones: Utopia / 64 Nio
Sources: A&K SE200, Cayin N6ii (A01)
Previous IEMs: Anole VX, Campfire Solaris/Vega Andromeda, Shure SE215/SE535, Etymotic HF3
Previous Headphones: ZMF Atticus Camphor Burl, Audeze EL8 ti, AKG K7XX, Audio-Technica ATH-M40x
Previous Sources: RME ADI-2 DAC, Fiio Q1 mk1, Chord Mojo, Oppo HA-2SE, HiBy R6

ReplyQuote
Barra
(@barra)
Topic starter  

@uthood - IEM vendors seem to be the most willing to do a tour. Headphone and DAP vendors have yet to accept a tour offer. Those IEMs seem interesting and popular so they have been on the radar. When the current tours start to come to an end, I may have to reach out. 

uthood liked
ReplyQuote
uthood
(@uthood)
New Member US Tours

There are also a TON of options with Final Audio.  I've seen several folks recently recommending the Final A8000 and would be interested in that for sure as well as their Piano series (I'm sure there may be others that are interested in Final's many lines).

Headphones: Utopia / 64 Nio
Sources: A&K SE200, Cayin N6ii (A01)
Previous IEMs: Anole VX, Campfire Solaris/Vega Andromeda, Shure SE215/SE535, Etymotic HF3
Previous Headphones: ZMF Atticus Camphor Burl, Audeze EL8 ti, AKG K7XX, Audio-Technica ATH-M40x
Previous Sources: RME ADI-2 DAC, Fiio Q1 mk1, Chord Mojo, Oppo HA-2SE, HiBy R6

rantng liked
ReplyQuote
Wildcatsare1
(@wildcatsare1)
New Member Admin

@barra, I'll second for the LSA. Headphones. I'd be happy to make the call, if there's enough interest. 

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: