Playing Homage to the Olympus Gods
Satin Audio has become popular on the Head-Fi forum based on great pairing results with top tier CIEMs with their Athena and Zeus cables. To hear what these premium cables could do, I reached out to Satin for a tour so we could all see for ourselves. In addition to the Olympus series, they will be sharing an assortment from their other series as well so we can test results at all price points.
Satin Audio Cable Tour Kickoff Video
Satin Audio Cable Tour Kit
We have arranged to tour Satin’s entire CIEM cable lineup with the exception of the Griffin. The tour kit includes:
- Zeus 4x (Olympus Series): $1,399.00 – 24AWG, Gold Plated Silver | Palladium Plated Silver | Silver-Gold Alloy
- Athena (Olympus Series): $415.00 – 26AWG, SP-OCC Palladium plated Silver mix SP-OCC Pure Silver
- Medusa II 4x (Monster Series): $259.00 – 26AWG, SP-OCC Pure Silver
- Kraken II 6x (Monster Series): $259.00 – 26AWG, SP-OCC Pure Silver | Silver plated Copper | Pure Copper
- Chimera II 8x (Monster Series): $199.00 – 26AWG, Highest purity Copper
- Gaïa 8x (Titan Series): $100.50 – 28AWG, Superior Pure OCC Copper
- Hyperion 8x (Titan Series): $100.50 – 28AWG, Superior Pure OCC SPC
- Theia 8x (Titan Series): $100.50 – 28AWG, Highest purity Copper/SPC
- 4.4mm to 2.5mm
- 4.4mm to 3.5mm
- 2-pin to MMCX angled
- 2-pin to MMCX straight
Satin Cable Tour Kit Pictures
Barra's Quick Initial Impressions
The best part of managing tours is getting to hear all the great gear for myself. Here are some brief impressions from what I have heard so far between the tasks required to set up this tour.
Setup: To be consistent across the cables, I listened to the VE VE8 as my test IEM as I feel that it can benefit from cable pairing offering a great test platform. Again, to be consistent, I listened to the VE8 from my WM1a given the direct 4.4mm plug option and its exceptional pairing with the VE8. Here is what I found in comparison to the VE8 stock cable:
- Zeus 4x: Lush…this describes the experience in one word. The Zeus offers a bigger more organic sound with a balancing effect bring the VE8 treble up a notch to match the bass and mids. The treble is smoother and less splashy but with more attack offering better front ends to the sound such as plucks. Overall, the Zeus offers a lush audiophile flat curve for audiophile fun.
- Athena 4x: This was my favorite pairing. While the Zeus was more fun, this was a more cohesive and articulate sound. It was cleaner, clearer, tighter, without being as thick as the Zeus. While the bass was present and VE big, the voices were more forward offering better mids. Treble seemed more integrated in the full frequency range. This is the way that the VE8 should sound.
- Medusa II 4x: The Medusa offers a more V-shape curve with bass and treble forward. This is fun, but has less fidelity than either the Zeus or the Athena. Bass has more pop than bounce like with the Zeus. Great EDM/rock choice. The cable is as nice looking as the Athena.
- Kraken II 6x: Fantastic VE8 pairing with flat response. The full frequency is integrated – bass/voice/treble, but not quite as wide. Somewhere within the voice frequency is a tiny bit of sibilance at times, but not enough to worry as this is a great pairing.
- Chimera II 8x: Like the Gaia with a soft, easy to listen quality, but with more treble. This is a very beautiful cable.
- Gaia 8x: Like the Chimera, it is very laid back and enjoyable with a soft calming sound. There is a slight euphoric quality and wetness to the sound.
- Hyperion 8x: The Hyperion offers bigger bass and splashier treble with the mids a tiny bit back for a slight V-shape signature, but fairly flat overall. It sounds wonderful with the VE8. I appreciate the 8x cable look for a high-end experience. It is less resolving than its higher cost peers but more toe-tapping and fun. It has a bigger overall sound and offers a great pairing with the VE8.
- Theia 8x: The Theia favors the low end with the treble subdued. There is a different soundstage placement with different songs – some forward, some back. This is not the best pairing with the VE8. However, it is one of the most beautiful cables in the collection.
Seven Day Auditions, Reviewers Go First
Our goal is to allow our audiophile community to actually hear outstanding audio gear ourselves rather than just read reviews. By auditioning this gear in the comfort of our own home over a week and by using our own systems and music to listen, we can make intelligent purchase decisions. By making auditions a community event, we can share our experiences and offer advice to other participants to get the most out of their audition.
7-Day Auditions: The participants are offered a seven day audition in the comfort of their own home, but are responsible for making arrangements to ship out by day 8. Reviewers sometimes are offered a longer review period.
Full Reviewers Always Go First: Do you want to move to the front of the line? If you intend on creating a full review, please note this in your participation request to be moved to the front of the line. This requires a commitment to post a full review here on AudioTier, HEADFI, an audiophile review site, or multiple. Those that wish to demo only or do simple impressions still get their chance to audition the kit, but after the reviewers go first.
Organized Logistically: The participant list is organized logistically to minimize shipping costs moving coast to coast with both a West Coast and an East Coast tour if there is a second kit. To begin the tour, I will ship each kit to the first in each list for a 7-day audition. Thereafter participants will be responsible to hand-deliver or ship the demo kit to the next participant in the list.
Self-Managed: The participants are expected to self-manage by following the basic rules and following the logistical order while managing any small logistics changes among themselves. Any complex issues can be directed to the moderator at email@example.com.
Rules and Responsibilities
Most of our tours are offering 7-day auditions which you are required to ship out to the next participant on day 8. Yes, you pay the shipping to the next participant, but we organize into logistically friendly orders to minimize the shipping expense.
The tour membership rules and responsibilities are described in detail here. The key idea is that we must be communicative to participate and to keep the tour moving and interesting. It is our responsibility to follow these rules and to ensure the ability to ship out on day 8 when our turn is over.
Join the Tour
To sign up for the tour, you must be a verified tour member and have joined our new AUDIOTIERs platform. The membership qualifications and requirements are described here if you are not already a member. Whether a HEADFI tour member that needs to transfer their membership to the new platform or you are a new member looking to apply for tour membership, please follow the instructions in the GETTING STARTED box below. We are now accepting applications from both US and Canadian citizens.
Tour Signups: If you would like to be part of this tour, please feel free to post your request in the comments below. This is a REVIEWERS GO FIRST TOUR, so if you would like to skip to the front of the line, please note that you would like to be a full reviewer in the request as in the sample below:
Please post a proper request to the comments section to join the tour per the instructions below.
Request Message: I live in Anthem, AZ and would like to participate in the tour. I agree to follow the terms of the tour. (add correct bullet below)
- My membership information is up to date.
- I have applied for membership and have emailed my required ID verification documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Optional: AS A FULL REVIEWER, PLEASE MOVE ME TO THE FRONT OF THE LINE.
Sample Signup Request:
I live in Anthem, AZ and would like to participate in the tour. I agree to follow the terms of the tour. My membership information is up to date. AS A FULL REVIEWER, PLEASE MOVE ME TO THE FRONT OF THE LINE.
Tour Participant Logistics - Reviewers First
Please note, this is a full reviewer first tour. If you promise to do a full review, you will be moved to the front of the line. Everyone else looking to demo only or do impressions will get their chance once the reviewers have gone first.
Starting with reviewers first, we will logistically move our tour kits from coast to coast to reduce shipping time and cost. After the close of the logistical portion of the tour, latecomers can still join first come first serve. The good news is that we will do our best to accommodate all tour members that wish to participate.
The participation information will be updated live throughout the tour and will provide you with current status on kit possession. Per the rules, you should be contacted as a backup prior to your turn so you will be ready when you are next.
Satin Audio Tour Logistics
- @Barra – Anthem, AZ
- REVIEWER: @drunkenmunkey – Highlands Ranch, CO
- REVIEWER: ngoshawk – Warrensburg, MO
- REVIEWER: kubig123 – New York, NY
- Darkestred – Denville NJ
- tawmizzzz – Somerville, MA
- Towa – Nashville, TN
- uthood – Prosper, TX
- Tybot – Albuquerque, NM
- rwelles – Florence, OR
- bhschap – Orange, CA
- Wildcatsare1 – Lexington, KY